Homepage Galleries Scenery Figures Rules Information Musings Links Paintball
Current Section - - - - - - - - -
-
1999-2003. All rights reserved.
-
Gothic Brick Tower
This was made from Linka, and loosely inspired by St. Pancras station, London. It was entered for a competition at Linkaworld and won! Thanks to all who voted for it.
Materials
  • Linka
  • PVA
  • Spaghetti
  • Card
  • Foamboard
    Introduction
    This was a pretty massive project, which was in gestation for about a year. I started off by making up one of the flat wall panels, without sticking anything together, just messing around putting bits of Linka together to see how it looked.
    Plans
    Download these PDF template (by right clicking on the thumbnail and selecting Save As).

    First Layer

    Second Layer

    Main Structure

    Construction Order

    1. Make up each side as a flat panel, from the ground to the corbel line. Just construct the base layer, rather than adding the raised detail.
    2. Make a foamboard box, which the panels will be stuck to. This is very important for the overall strength of the building.
    3. Stick the panels one by one to the box.
    4. Stick a square of foamboard on top.
    5. Stick together each row of windows. Once all are dry, glue them down onto the building.
    6. Add a square of foamboard to the top, to form a base for the roof.
    7. Cut four triangles of foamboard to fit under the roof panels, and behind the brick. Glue these on.
    8. Construct card roof, as described below.
    9. Make up each triangular brick wall section and glue to the foamboard triangles.
    10. Make corner spires and roof coping.
    11. Add second layer of main walls.
    12. Add decorative detailing.

    Gothic arches

    The building uses a number of gothic arches. These are not standard Linka pieces, but can be constructed from the brick arch pieces, as shown in this diagram. This is because, 'as any fule kno', a gothic arch is merely a semi-circular arch with the middle missing. Cut down the line of the mortar joints, and make sure you cut off the same amount on both, or they won't meet up in the middle.
  • Roof
    The roof is supposed to look like a lead roof - the raised strips are the joints where the lead is folded around a wood batten to stop it leaking. A real roof almost certainly wouldn't combine this with wavy ridge tiles, but what the hell, you probably wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't told you.

    The roof was fairly difficult to construct neatly. In the end I cut two rectangles from heavy card and glued them on to construct a standard pitched roof. Then I cut four triangles and glued them on to form the other half of the roof. Once the basic structure was in place, I cut thin strips from the same card to form the joints. The easiest way to to this is to use a scalpel and metal ruler to cut one strip the whole length of the card. Then hold it up against the roof to check the length of each of the short lengths, marking and cutting them one by one.

    Ridge Tiles

    These are made from strips of card cut with wavy craft scissors. Cut the wavy edge first, then trim off a strip with a scalpel, as the scissors are hard to control accurately.

    Roof Coping

    The triangular tops to the walls were built up and decorated with a strip of foam card. This in turn was covered by slightly wider rectangles of card.

    Spires

    The tiny spires at each corner are strips of foam card, each one faced with two pieces of card cut with triangular tops. On top of each is a small square of card with a hole cut in it for the tip of a cocktail stick.

    Parapet Decorative Trim

    Line of Brick Corbels

    About half way up is a line of small brick corbels. These were cut from the narrow Linka brick column (you need a lot of these). If you look carefully, you can see the mortar joints are in an alternating pattern.

    Window Bars

    The inner window with the grid of bars is a standard Linka piece. To 'gothic' it up a bit, I drew out a # shaped grid on card, and then carefully cut it out with a scalpel and stuck it inside the frame. The rivets are slices of plastic rod, glued on afterwards (a good way to pick these up is to prick them with a fresh scalpel blade and pick them up on the tip).

    Skull above Door

    The original was made from green putty. I then cast a number using plasticene and plaster as detailed here. Unfortunately the batch of plasticene was a bit greasy, so they didn't cast as well as previous efforts.

    Door Handles

    First I stuck a small rectangle of card to the door, edgeways on, with superglue. Next I cut a short length of phone wire, curled it round a brush handle into a C shape, and then stuck it to the door.

    Stone Overhangs

    Three of the horizontal bands (formed from foamboard), have been decorated with strips of spaghetti stuck up the middle of them.


    -
    2006. All rights reserved.
    -